The glass shop crew has been busy this week between hatches, baitwell, and hardtop work for a new build. The vberth for the new build is coming along nicely with the head wall and ceiling strips in place. Our varnish team has been busy between cetol on a Rhodes 22, maintenance varnish coats on a MathewsBros 29, and staining shelves for the new build. The Rhodes 22 transom is also being prepped for new paint and a new outboard bracket.
Rhodes 22 transom progres
Varnish team progress
New boat progress
This extensive fiberglass damage was the result of Superstorm Sandy. This boat was in NY for the storm - one of the hardest hit areas. You can see the progression of a fiberglass repair from start to finish below.
We were very fortunate here at MathewsBros to have had a full 2014 and we appreciate all of our customers' business!
We had a myriad of projects this year that ranged from new boat builds to fiberglass repair, to new paint, to a wheelhouse refit, to replacing a teak cockpit, to a circa 50's wooden boat refit and so much more - Check out some of our projects below!
We were very excited to build another 29' this year much less an improved 29!
In addition to building one of our 29' boats, we also built a 32' boat for
Duffy 35 Refit
We completely stripped all of the varnish on this Duffy 35 and built it back up to full coats. She also had some rotten balsa core in the wheelhouse so we removed all of that and replaced it with closed cell core and instead of sealing it off with gel coat, we used teak plywood which was sealed and varnished as well.
Along with finishing up refit to a circa 1950s wooden boat, we finished a refit on this 1976 boat as well
We had several fiberglass repair jobs this year. The pictures below show the before, during & after such a repair.
We are wrapping up our last work day before our first Holiday Break. We enjoyed our company party yesterday and look forward to a much needed break! We will be back in the shop next week Monday, 12/29, through Wednesday, 12/31 - Stay tuned for our Year End Recap!
You may have seen a couple of posts about a Wolverine we were refitting either in our daily pictures or in proptalk magazine – perhaps even in our blog. This boat had been sitting in a family barn for years when a member of the family decided they’d like to have her spruced up to be able to use so they brought her here to our shop.
Our first order of business was to clean her up and to remove all of the rotten wood. We had to flip her over to remove the rotted keel and spray rails.
While she was still upside down we also stripped the old finish, wrapped it with epoxy and sheathed the hull with fiberglass cloth and epoxy. The hull was then faired to help get a smoother surface before a new oak keel was manufactured and installed. Once that was complete, she flipped again for a new sapele deck
Once the decking was in place and secured, she was flipped again so we could install the painter's keel as well as new Oak spray rails. The hull was faired again to make sure it was even and smooth before priming. We flipped her back onto her hull for varnish and for the paint topcoat.
Next up was to manufacture a custom sole painted with nonskid as well as to hang the new Honda outboard and install running lights and cushions!